Two days ago, Hudson Jameson, a Developer and Co-Founder of Oaken Innovations, proposed a Reddit AMA to clarify certain points regarding leadership and accountability in the Ethereum community. This was due to a controversy that arose as a result of Afri’s announcement to abandon the Ethereum project.
Until further notice, you can reach me via firstname.lastname@example.org, on Telegram using changing handles, and on Parity's Riot/Github. I will no longer respond on Gitter, Skype, Discord, Slack, Wire, Twitter, and Reddit.
— Afri (@5chdn) February 17, 2019
I did not quit social media, I quit Ethereum. I did not go dark, I just left the community. I am no longer coordinating hard-forks, building testnets, or contributing otherwise. I did not work on Polkadot, I never did, I worked on Ethereum. I did not hate Ethereum, I loved it.
— Afri (@5chdn) February 19, 2019
Afri’s resignation came after he wrote a series of Tweets saying that Polkadot could surpass Ethereum 2.0. He compared both projects while pointing out specific weaknesses of the Ethereum network. Of course, Afri’s opinions annoyed the part of some members of the community, who demanded that he withdraw from the project. Jameson speculates that Afri ended up giving in to the pressures and decided to take one step back.
I'm so angry and disappointed in the Ethereum community. You ran out one of our best contributors for the dumbest reasons. More people should have spoken up in support and there needs to be less vitriol. https://t.co/eClG1q1f9N
— Hudson Jameson (@hudsonjameson) February 17, 2019
Given the turbulence experienced in the community, the idea of creating a Reddit AMA was seen as positive by the Ethereum team, who took the opportunity to clarify doubts and get closer to the community.
One of the most popular comments was that of ezpzfan324. This user remarked that to avoid repeating situations like the one experienced with Afri, it would be advisable for the critical members of Ethereum to make a Conflict of Interests Statement.
Vitalik Buterin: 80% ETH
Vitalik Buterin welcomed this proposal and responded quickly, revealing to the community the tokens he has invested in and the proportion of his investments:
“Here’s a quick one from me:
- Non-ethereum-ecosystem tokens: BCH, BTC, DOGE, ZEC; total value < 10% the value of my ETH
- Non-ETH ethereum ecosystem tokens: KNC, MKR, OMG, REP, total value <10% the value of my ETH
- Significant corporate shareholdings: Clearmatics, Starkware [edit, forgot to put this in before]
- Revenue in the last 12 months other than ethereum foundation salary: a few advisor tokens (included in above)
- Non-financial interests: friends in the ecosystems represented by the above projects, as well as some non-token ethereum ecosystem orgs (eg. L4, Plasma Group, EthGlobal, EDCON) and non-token non-ethereum orgs (mainly professional cryptography and economics circles)
I’d definitely support more people actively involved in protocol decision-making making such statements!”
Justin Drake: 99% ETH
Justin Drake, another member of the Ethereum developer team also shared his investments, following in the footsteps of Vitalik Buterin:
“Quick summary here:
- 99% of token value in ETH (was given minor airdrops for free)
- Paid by the EF in ETH
- Leverage long ETH using ETH as collateral (MakerDAO)
- Close to zero fiat
- Not associated with any blockchain project other than Ethereum
- Zero speaking fees, zero grants”
Martin Swende: +95% ETH
Martin Swende, another important member of the Ethereum Dev Tem also shared his crypto holdings and the origin of his investments:
“I’ll join in
- 95-99% of crypto holdings in ETH, rest is ZEC, BTC, SIA + some eth-tokens
- Salary/income last 12 months: all via EF (in euro)
- I previously also sometimes did consultancy audits, haven’t done any in a long time
- Advisor in zero projects, zero speaking fees, zero grants received, etc.”
They did not disclosed how much money the have invested, but just by knowing which tokens they own seems as a good reference to measure the potentional of some projects.
Here at Dollar Destruction, we endeavour to bring to you the latest, most important news from around the globe. We scan the web looking for the most valuable content and dish it right up for you! The content of this article was provided by the source referenced. Dollar Destruction does not endorse and is not responsible for or liable for any content, accuracy, quality, advertising, products or other materials on this page. As always, we encourage you to perform your own research!
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter for all our Crypto, Financial & Technology related tweets.